Thursday, August 4, 2011

Project Runway 9 "Come as You Are" Episode 1

Project Runway 9-1 by sarawestermark
Project Runway 9-1, a photo by sarawestermark on Flickr.
"Shard"
5cm x 4cm x 3cm
sterling silver, repurposed

I took this Project Runway Challenge as an opportunity to examine my bench--which is quite messy at the best of times. As I searched for scrap silver on my bench, I cleaned as I went along. Once I found enough silver, I melted the scrap and then rolled it out in my rolling mill. I loved how my blob of cooled molten silver turned into an organic freeform shape. I knew what I wanted to do next. I heated the surface to produce a partial reticulation, which in turn created texture. The hole in the middle naturally formed when I rolled it out.

1 comment:

Terry Jane England said...

cool! I love it, looks like Mars or the moon.