Friday, September 11, 2009

I remember.....

September 11 was such a pivital moment for me. It was like an alarm went off in my brain on multiple levels. I was a new mother and was completely content dozing in the late morning when my now ex-husband came in and told me to turn on the TV. I couldn't believe that it was real. It seemed like War of the Worlds in a surreal way. It really took a long time for me to absorb the enormity of the disaster. I was completely in shock--everything seemed to come to a complete halt. Time stopped. I cried everytime I thought of a child who lost their parents. I cried for the wives, the husbands, the mothers, the fathers and the children whose families were ripped apart. One day happy, the next day complete and utter loss. It was then the fabric of my own life began to unravel..... A few days later I first learned of my ex-husband's affairs. It was another year before I left.

1 comment:

Mountaindreamers said...

I am sooo sorry so much sadness is in the world on a mega level (911) and on the personal level( lack of fidelity ) . My daughter was two weeks old when the space shuttle exploded in 1986. It was paralyzing for a very long time, senseless loss. And of course in 1991 I left someone who couldn't commit. Does this shape our art? probably , it makes me want to create more beauty and purity.